Thin Film Solar Cells from Silicon
Moving from Silicon Solar Cells to Thin Films
The big switch from being dependent on perishable energy sources to using clean and renewable sources of energy is an unstoppable phenomenon, one which is bound to shower plenty of benefits on consumers as well as Mother Nature. This big leap towards a better future is powered by the increased utilization of renewable resources, with solar power being the biggest contributors among several other resources.
Solar energy, at present, is the cleanest and the most abundantly available forms of renewable energy available to mankind. It has the potential to provide for the current power consumption needs of the society. However, there are only two primary constraints that hinder the process of full utilization of solar energy, which comprise of the manufacturing expenses and the power efficiency conversion rate.
Since the ideal balance between cutting down the manufacturing expenses and multiplying the efficient conversion rate hasn’t been reached yet, the efforts must be channelized towards manufacturing a perfect solar module that consumes limited finances and stills offers the required level of efficiency rate for converting solar energy into electricity, the chances of which are somewhat better now with the availability of thin film solar cells.
An Introduction to Thin Film Solar Cells
The solar power industry has come a long way from what it used to be years ago. Silicon based solar cells, one of the main components of solar power generation, have been there for more than 50 years now. However, their low efficiency rate of converting solar energy into electricity and the high manufacturing costs are items of history now. This coming period is the age of Thin Film Solar Cells, which are known to be far more efficient and economical when compared to their silicon predecessors.
Thin solar cells, primarily named after their thin dimensions, are advanced and well-equipped soldiers of war for producing clear, inexpensive, and more efficient form of energy, helpful to both consumers as well as the industry. From the manufacturers’ point of view, thins films have the potential of cutting down the cost of producing solar cell modules by a dramatic amount. First of all, these films tend to reduce the required amount of material thickness to 1 micron. Secondly, they can cover a wider area, which, in turn, enables manufacturers to increase their production volume. It is because of these two unique characteristics that manufacturers are able to minimize the material expenses, thereby making thin films a cost effective means of harnessing solar energy.
As far as the consumers are concerned, thin films have enabled them to include highly effective photovoltaic material into the architecture of their buildings itself. This further helped in the procreation of a relatively new industry, Building-Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV), which is also one of the fastest advancing branches of solar power industry in the present day world.
Different Types of Thin Films Solar Cells
Currently, there are three types of thin film solar cells that are being manufactured in the industry, namely cadmium telluride (CdTe), copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS), and dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSC). Of these three, the cadmium telluride (CdTe) cells are relatively more popular and in practical utilization as against the other two categories. However, all these films are unique in terms of their nature and properties, and it is because of their innovation and progress that the solar industry has experienced a substantial boom in the past few years.
The Future Story Thin Film Solar Cells
Today, the primary objective of the energy world is to use renewable resource technology for facilitating the transition from the present, polluting utilization of non-renewable sources of energy to a technology that supports far better, cleaner and effective form of energy. Solar energy, which is perhaps the most sparkling forms of energy available in copious quantity, is one such eco-friendly way of reaching the self-sufficient and energy conserving future. Though silicon cells dominate the current chapter of the solar power industry, the efficiency and cost effectiveness of thin film cells will surely succeed in the times to come to build a better environment, while fulfilling the energy needs of the consumers and industry.
Thin film solar cells!
- Wed, 27 May 2020 12:49:25 +0000: Maintaining Solar Deep-Cycle Batteries During Self Quarantine and Stay-At-Home Orders - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
With stay-at-home orders in place in many states, homes utilizing deep-cycle batteries for power could be increasingly straining their systems. As more people stay home, more appliances and electrical accessories that would typically be off during the day will be used.
- Tue, 26 May 2020 12:49:47 +0000: The Evolution of Solar Technology - How Photovoltaic Technology Has Developed and Why Nanotechnology May Influence the Future - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Here, Dr Franky So, chief technology officer of nanotechnology research company Nextgen Nano, explains the historical developments of photovoltaic technology and looks to the innovations shaping the years ahead.
- Fri, 22 May 2020 12:42:23 +0000: Lead Acid Battery Install and Maintenance Tips - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Steve Higgins, Technical Services Manager at Rolls Battery highlights some of the frequently asked questions when it comes to proper maintenance and service of lead acid batteries.
- Thu, 21 May 2020 12:45:15 +0000: How Solar and Wind Energy Are Now Cheaper than Fossil Fuels - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
In two-thirds of the world, renewable sources of power are more affordable than carbon-based electricity. This shift represents a substantial victory for green energy, as it may offer the push the industry needs to become the new norm. Here's how this monumental shift happened.
- Wed, 20 May 2020 12:53:29 +0000: ELECTRIC VEHICLE SALES TO FALL 18% IN 2020 BUT LONG-TERM PROSPECTS REMAIN UNDIMMED - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Sales of electric passenger vehicles are forecast to fall 18% in 2020, to 1.7 million worldwide – with the coronavirus crisis interrupting ten successive years of strong growth.
- Tue, 19 May 2020 12:46:39 +0000: Disadvantages to Using Renewables Over Traditional Fuel Sources - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
There are advantages and disadvantages to any type of energy source. In this article, I will discuss the disadvantages of renewable energy. Wind energy is one universally used type of renewable energy. It is also one of the fastest spreading resources for electricity. But . . .
- Mon, 18 May 2020 12:31:15 +0000: COVID-19 Erases Five Years of Solar Job Growth - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
All 50 states show solar jobs losses, with 36 states suffering job losses above 30%. Seven states and Washington, DC— including large solar states like New York and New Jersey— have seen solar job losses exceed 60%.
- Thu, 14 May 2020 12:45:14 +0000: Improving Deep-Cycle Batteries Through Additives - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Battery manufacturers have improved deep cycle battery performance through the use of additives, but not all of them result in the same benefit to customers.
- Wed, 13 May 2020 17:41:03 +0000: America Has Lost 594,300 Clean Energy Jobs; 850,000 Expected by June 30 - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
• 447,208 new unemployment filings in April, triple March claims • CA, FL, GA, TX, MI, NC, WA, NY, OH among hardest hit states • Energy efficiency job losses top 400,000; renewable job losses near 100,000
- Wed, 13 May 2020 12:47:30 +0000: Biogas as a Blending Gas to Decarbonize Natural Gas Networks - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Several contributions from the farmers, research institutes and the industry has led to the production of biogas as a mature technology, the purification process of biogas has been made simpler and a wide variety of substrates or raw materials are being used in the process.
- Tue, 12 May 2020 13:09:16 +0000: Floating Wind Farms on an Upward Wave - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Now, however, many green energy companies are looking toward a new kind of offshore wind turbine that won’t need a concrete foundation. This new technology allows a turbine to float instead of sitting on the ocean floor.
- Tue, 12 May 2020 12:56:34 +0000: Span Raises $10.2 Million for Reinvention of Home Electrical Panel to Optimize Solar, Energy Storage, and Electric Vehicle Charging - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Span's smart panel brings greater resiliency to homes with increased flexibility when the power goes out and real-time energy monitoring plus controls
- Fri, 08 May 2020 12:36:57 +0000: Managing Deep-Cycle Batteries For Energy Storage During Stay-At-Home Orders - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The increase in renewable energy homes and small businesses began as a way to lower power usage costs, but with more people sequestered in one place using electrical accessories, battery storage systems can suffer if they are not purposely built for energy storage use.
- Thu, 07 May 2020 13:05:13 +0000: SimpliPhi Power Teams Up with Footprint Project to Deliver Clean Energy Microgrid to Field Hospital for Matamoros Migrant Camp Fighting COVID-19 - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
SimpliPhi's batteries combined with Solar PV are providing power 24/7 for the COVID-19 'pop-up' clinic at the Matamoros Migrant Camp of 3,000 asylum seekers in Mexico at the Texas border
- Thu, 07 May 2020 12:57:14 +0000: A Bright Idea - Helping the Next Generation Create a Sustainable Future - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
This shift in focus is redefining engineering by providing us with a new set of challenges. In the past engineers focused on making sure their machines were safe for workers, we’re now having to think of ways to make sure industry processes are safe for the entire planet.
- Wed, 06 May 2020 12:50:52 +0000: Startup Lowering Construction Costs for Hydropower Plant - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Hydropower may become less costly as startups are beginning to use pre-existing facilities and discontinue dam building. Thus, construction costs would be minimal and engineers could implement hydropower on a much larger scale.
- Tue, 05 May 2020 12:45:45 +0000: How to Prevent Industrial Air Pollution in Manufacturing - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
With the constant growth in demand for manufactured goods and environmental protections under coordinated assault, there’s never been a more important time for manufacturers to take their part in air pollution seriously.
- Fri, 01 May 2020 13:08:15 +0000: Three startups with solar and energy storage technologies selected for Shell GameChanger Accelerator™ Powered by NREL - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Participating companies will receive non-dilutive funding to develop commercially viable clean technologies
- Thu, 30 Apr 2020 12:44:02 +0000: Understanding the Impact of COVID-19 on the Renewable Energy Industry - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
To understand the effects the crisis could have on the renewable energy market, we conducted a survey of project developers, analyzed data from the LevelTen Marketplace, and talked to our customers. Here are five key takeaways.
- Wed, 29 Apr 2020 13:07:25 +0000: NASA $2M Grant Advances Study to Directly Image Exoplanets Light Years Away - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Xplore’s Advanced Solar Sail Design will be the Fastest Spacecraft Ever Made, Expanding Xplore’s Reach Beyond the Inner Solar System